My fave Blog 4th Quarter

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Standing on The Shoulders of Giants

I didn't make up the phrase in the title. I took that from Isaac Newton's quote:  

"If I have seen further it is by standing on ye sholders of Giants."

Newton himself took this quote from Bernard of Chartes who stated:
"We are like dwarfs on the shoulders of giants, so that we can see more than they, and things at a greater distance, not by virtue of any sharpness of sight on our part, or any physical distinction, but because we are carried high and raised up by their giant size."

How did I learn all of this? I took it directly from a Youtube video  called "Everything is a Remix".

 

I found this video while searching for an answer to a question that came up in my Junior Theme: Do artists and thinkers deserve copyright protection? In one of the best mini-documentaries I've ever seen, Youtuber Kirby1 dissects various aspects of our world to show that nothing can be created out of thin air. All new ideas are just tiny flowers, with massive intertwining roots that reach to the beginning of time. These flowers will become roots themselves in the future. 

Many people believe that ideas should receive protection from others, but who is protecting the ideas that were sampled in the first place? Should George Lucas have consulted Akira Kurosawa before borrowing heavily from his films in "Star Wars"? Given the borrowing nature of people and ideas, should copyright even exist? I urge you all to watch this fascinating video.

No comments:

Post a Comment